So you’ve booked your stay with us, and you’re starting to plan how you’ll spend your time here in California’s breathtaking Eastern Sierra. And you’ve decided one of the things you want to do is become more active. Good for you! Happy is as healthy does, and there’s no easier or more accessible way to start than by enjoying nature’s changing vistas on foot.
Hiking is a perfect activity for the whole family, and it can create a bonding experience like no other. But it does have its challenges, and even on novice level trails, you need to be prepared before trekking out into the wild.
We’ve put together a list of references for beginning hikers here, to help make sure your first forays into our wilderness wonderland are just the start of a long and happy hiking career.
- American Hiking Society – Find the perfect hike, get some beginner tips, learn about the right gear, and a whole lot more!
- Seven Safety Tips – From the Student Conservation Association
- Ten Common Sense Hiking Tips – From Liftopia
- Hiking for Beginners – Essential Hiking 101 Tips from Bearfoot Theory
- Mistakes Hikers Make – from Amanda Outside
Be serious about preparation and safety, so you can have fun out there and come back to stay with us for years to come!